Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wouldn't you know it!

As part of my obsessive-compulsive behaviour I was cruising antique fabric websites the other day, just idly looking for likely fabrics for Gertrude's chair slipcover. I cam across a number of sellers of french antique fabrics, including French-treasures.com, where I found on their archive page 1 this piece of fabric:




Now if you look closely at Gertrude's chair, you will see that the fabric must have been something very close to this, rather than the fabric I have chosen. Furthermore, I found a site that said French furnishings became much less avant-garde after WWI. (Will findthe reference again and link here)

 I also found lots of sites that sell French antique textiles, although there does seem to be a gap in the market for textiles between the truly antique and the post WWII retro fabric market --perhaps because most of the period was sunk in Depression and war so people used up what they had? Who knows? Undoubtedly someon out there does.

No comments:

Post a Comment