Thursday, December 30, 2010

First attempt at upholstering in 1:12

10 August 2010

Got distracted this weekend by the arrival of two volumes of Reac chairs which I had ordered with the intention of selling all but two. However, I fell in love with the wrong ones --the le Corbusier couches and the butterfly chairs --so spent the weekend arranging a room totally unrelated to Gert and Alice.

I did attempt to make the footstool to go with the slip-covered armchair, but it turned out looking like a mob-cap. Lesson: pleat, don't gather, tiny bits of cloth. Back to the drawing board on that one.

The Bespaq Court chair arrived Monday. It is exquisite, delicately carved and upholstered in red velvet. It is intended for Gertrude's writing chair which was, however, upholstered in leather. So I will have to decide whether to re-upholster it or not. I would have to get much better at this business of manipulating tiny bits of fabric before I would risk it. I'm going to try to make a visual catalog of the chairs in the various photographs, partly simply to document them and partly to have a record/checklist against which to compare the existent miniature chairs out there in the world to find matches. Haven't quite figured out how to make the catalog but it all adds to the challenge. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment